iMMAP i is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Thematic Subject Matter Expert (Food Security and WASH) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Title: Thematic Subject Matter Expert (Food Security and WASH)
Job in Ethiopia By MMAP
iMMAP is an international nongovernmental organisation that provides information management services to humanitarian and development organizations. Through information management, we help our partners target assistance to the world’s most vulnerable populations. Our core philosophy is that better data leads to better decisions and that better decisions lead to better outcomes. iMMAP’s critical support to information value chains helps to solve operational and strategic challenges of our partners in both emergency and development contexts by enabling evidence-based decision-making for better outcomes.
The military conflict in the Tigray region, which began in November 2020, has caused additional forced displacement and increased humanitarian needs in Tigray and in other parts of the country. Since the beginning of the conflict, humanitarian actors have faced strong difficulties in conducting on the ground assessments of the humanitarian needs due to the lack of access and communication blackout. Alternative ways for assessing have been explored and different actors have already positioned themselves to provide those services. Since the end of December 2020, access is being slowly permitted and telephone lines are beginning to be restored in some areas. Therefore, actors are starting to conduct their own assessments. Nevertheless, OCHA and other clusters consider that many needs are still not addressed: for example, there are still information gaps on specific thematics or specific areas that are not covered by the existing assessment initiatives. Additionally, some actors implicated in some joint assessments or conducting their own assessments don’t always have the capacity to manage the data in a qualitative way and would need support for cleaning, managing, analyzing and visualizing the data. Through this project, iMMAP proposes to fill the information gaps and provide the needed technical support in order to meet the needs shared by the implicated actors.
In this framework, iMMAP is searching for a Thematic Expert to join the team in Addis Ababa. The position is meant to work home-based.
Description of Duties
The Thematic expert will work with the iMMAP analysis team to provide in-depth analysis on certain specific sectors: WASH and Food Security.
- The Thematic Expert will primarily be involved in tracking data and conducting analysis, composing contextual reports based upon said analysis, supporting the production of reporting products
- Produce regular reports and analysis while shaping tracking outputs to best fit the information needs of iMMAP partners and the humanitarian architecture;
- Stay aware of social, economic developments that have an impact on the context for inclusion in analysis ;
- In coordination with iMMAP’s IM and analysis teams, develop a reporting matrix and follow up throughout life of project to ensure timely and regular publishing of high-quality reports and information;
- Develop report outlines and work with the IM team to enhance and automate regular reporting functions;
- Provide high quality research and analysis to the iMMAP analysis team enabling evidence-based representation from the field and ensure documentation is supported;
- Develop and maintain a network of key informants for the purpose of attaining and triangulating sensitive information pertaining to the local context;
- Advanced degree in economics, international relations or related field required.
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience, experience with the humanitarian ecosystem is desirable
- At least 5 years of experience in the specified sectors required
- High level of proficiency in English written and spoken (required)
- Demonstrated sectorial expertise, in line with the hereby Terms of Reference, in regards to needs assessments and mobile data collection
- Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent analytical capacity
- Excellent writing and secondary data analysis skills
- Effective communication skills to work among clusters, agencies and the government
- Good organisational skills to deliver products on time and with quality
- Capacity to work under tight deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Demonstrated qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills
- Ability to operate in cross-cultural environment and work independently
- Advanced prior knowledge of local context required
- Familiarity with the humanitarian cluster system and an understanding of donor requirements
- Prior experience in humanitarian context required
- Strong skills in humanitarian emergency needs assessments and sectorial needs assessments, including mobile data collection and survey design
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office package with strong skills in Excel is mandatory;
- Knowledge of The DEEP platform (https://www.thedeep.io/) is an advantage;
- Knowledge of Premise (https://www.premise.com/) is an advantage;
- Knowledge of ODK and/or KoBo is an asset;
- Knowledge of ArcGIS an asset.
Personnel is expected to conduct itself in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and iMMAP’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Countries.
iMMAP has zero-tolerance for sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, human trafficking, child abuse and exploitation. Any violations of these principles and policies will be treated as serious misconduct.
iMMAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background.