International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Jobs Vacancy in Ethiopia: International Rescue Committee (IRC) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Officer in Sheraro, Tigray, Ethiopia
Job Title: Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Officer
(International Rescue Committee (IRC) Job in Ethiopia 2021)
Job in Ethiopia by International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Location: Sheraro, Tigray
- Grade: Mid Level
- Years of Experience: 2+
- Health Care, Water and Sanitation
- Health Care, Water and Sanitation
- Closing Date: Jun 25, 2021
The Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Officer reports to the Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Manager and is responsible for ensuring smooth implementation of sanitation and hygiene promotion sub program in Mai-Ayni camp and IDP centers in Tselemti and around Weredas. The program focuses on maintaining to ensure adequate environmental health conditions are met in refugee camps and host communities around where the IRC is mandated to implement projects.
The principal role of the SHP Officer is to ensure that quality hygiene promotion activities are well integrated into the overall IRC Environmental Health/WASH projects and responsible for planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of sanitation and hygiene promotion component in Mai-Ayni Refugee camp and IDP centers around Tselmti Wereda . The position also requires proper management of the financial, material and other resources under the program.
This position technically reports to the SHP Manager, and organize and send formal and informal report to the SHP Manager.
MAJOR/KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- With support from SHP Manager and S/EH Manager, design and undertake/take part in quantitative/qualitative assessments to identify key risky hygiene behaviors, to set baseline and measure project achievements;
- Recruit, train, manage and supervise refugee camp Environmental Health Agents and sanitation facility attendants on basics of participatory hygiene promotion/education, methods/approaches, and communication and facilitation skills
- Work with refugee representatives to identify volunteers/incentive workers for hygiene promotion/education;
- Prepare detail work plan for hygiene promotion/education activities and ensure proper implementation of the same;
- Mobilize refugees to select site and design to build latrines, water points and other WASH facilities for vulnerable groups , and ensure needs of most vulnerable are taken in to account at all stages of hygiene promotion intervention/s;
- Monitor and supervise hygiene promotion activities in the camp
- Work with SHP Manager on development, testing, printing and positioning of culturally appropriate IEC materials, and monitoring tools and ensure proper use of the same;
- Prepare updates and monthly progress and other reports;
- Initiate procurement to ensure adequate supplies for hygiene and sanitation promotion activities;
- Coordinate and integrate with other Implementing Partners (IPs) in harmonizing hygiene promotion/education interventions;
Document and share lessons learned and success stories in relation to hygiene to inform future programming
- Serve as the focal point person for all activities related to IRC Refugee camp sanitation and hygiene promotion
- Any additional responsibility as requested his/her supervisor.
- University Degree in Environmental Health, Public Health, Nursing, Community Development, Health Education, or any other related field from recognized University with relevant experience of at least 4 years for degree and 2 years for Masters- Essential in the sector.
- Relevant work experience on hygiene promotion with I/NGO in development, emergency or refugee settings – Preferable
- Very good written and spoken English – Essential and Tigrigna is an asset
- Previous experience of implementing participatory hygiene promotion and sanitation methods (e.g. PHAST, CLTS/H, CHC, CHAST) and organizing campaigns on key hygiene themes – Preferable
- Previous experience of implementing institutional (schools & health facilities) hygiene promotions/educations; – Preferable
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required; – Essential
- Very good at computer- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and e-mail)
How to Apply
Candidates who meet the above qualifications; please send your CV, application letter, and copies of credentials through:
- Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
- Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
- Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
- Name of the position you have applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Permanent Address and present address (if different from permanent) and telephone number if possible also email address
- Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
|Are any of your relatives employed by International Rescue committee (IRC)? If answer is “yes”, give the following information:||YES NO|
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply!