Jobs in Ethiopia: GOAL Ethiopia is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Senior livelihood officer in Mekelle, Ethiopia
Job Title: Senior livelihood officer
(GOAL Ethiopia Job in Ethiopia 2021)
Job in Ethiopia by GOAL Ethiopia
- Organization: GOAL Ethiopia
- Location: Mekelle
- Grade: Senior level
- Years of Experience: 5+
- Agriculture, Development and Project Management, Rural development, Livelihood , Food security, Social Sciences and Community
- Closing Date: Jun 18, 2021
|Reference No:||REC/ 047 /21|
|Job title:||Senior livelihood officer|
|Reports to:||Regional Programme Manager|
|Number of Posts||1 (One)|
|Closing date:||June 18, 2021|
GOAL’s mission is to work with the most vulnerable communities to help them respond to and recover from humanitarian crises, and to assist them to build transcendent solutions to mitigate poverty and vulnerability.
GOAL is a non-for profit organization that has been working in Ethiopia for over 30 years across all the region of the country towards ensuring the poorest and most vulnerable in our world and those affected by humanitarian crises have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate shelter, food and livelihoods, water and sanitation, nutrition, healthcare and education. GOAL implements a range of multi-sectoral development, resilience, recovery and humanitarian responses Programmes by being sensitive to cross-cutting issues including gender, accountably, child protection, HIV/AIDS.
We envision a world where poverty no longer exist, where vulnerable communities are resilient, where barriers to wellbeing are removed and where everyone has equal rights and opportunities. GOAL Ethiopia’s main donors are Irish Aid, USAID/OFDA, EHF, ECHO and other private donors.
Key Duties/Task List:
1. She/he will be responsible for directly managing, implementing, provide technical support and monitoring of the Agriculture and Cash Based emergency response project ensuring quality and timeliness. This will involve working closely with the field office team.
2. Ensures coordination with the governmental project partners
3. Shares the knowledge and skills related to the agriculture, food security and livelihood sector within the technical work team.
4. Create skills within target groups in the project area to enhance the managerial and technical skills of the local counterpart (government and community);
5. Supports local counterparts (Zone and Woreda technicians) and community stakeholders in the definition of training, capacity building, awareness campaigns on sanitation practices.
6. Ensures that the activities are carried out in compliance with the Logical Framework and the indicators.
7. In close coordination with field office livelihood officers and program manager, consult key stakeholders and identify opportunities/ gaps in the area of agriculture (crop and livestock) livelihoods at the village/kebele, and district levels and initiate preparatory and entry level activities for developing agriculture and other livelihoods programme. This would include mapping of community needs and priorities on agriculture and other livelihoods programme and contributing to the development of participatory village level plans, working closely with other programme staff.
8. Ensure active community participation in the implementation of agriculture and other livelihoods programme interventions, including development of norms for community contribution and responsibility sharing. Ensure active participation of women and disadvantage groups in village/Kebele level planning, implementation of livelihoods activities, and access to benefits resulting from programme interventions.
9. Involve in efforts in implementing the Livelihoods project activities and other livelihood initiatives related to agriculture development such as extension services, animal husbandry and similar activities, community savings groups and market system development.
10. Involve in field level assessments, such as baseline surveys and others during the course of the project implementation for developing and/or testing of programme approaches or interventions.
11. Engage in Woreda level coordination with all relevant stakeholders.
12. Ensure active community participation in the implementation of programme interventions, including development of norms for community contribution and responsibility sharing. In particular, ensure the active participation of women and disadvantage groups in village/Kebele level planning, implementation of programme activities, and access to benefits resulting from programme interventions.
13. Lead efforts in implementing the Tigray agriculture emergency project activities and other livelihood initiatives related to agriculture development such as extension services, animal husbandry and similar activities, community savings groups and market development.
14. Lead field level assessments, such as baseline surveys and others during the course of the project implementation for developing and/or testing of programme approaches or interventions.
15. Engage in Woreda level coordination with all relevant stakeholders.
16. Lead the beneficiary targeting, registration and verification in collaboration with respective woredas and kebele level government sector line and community representative.
17. Lead the distribution of seed, cash and veterinary drug.
18. Lead the initiation and strengthening of partnership development and networking with local government structures and work to strengthen community-based organizations.
19. In close coordination with Tigray Area Program manager, support the development of quarter and biannual work plans and budgets, and ensure its effective implementation.
20. S/He will lead the agricultural response activities at the programme area. Ensure identification and registration of beneficiary households for response, participate in the baseline survey, and regularly monitor the activities at distribution level.
21. Ensure regular documentation of community processes, maintenance of village profiles, and support the development of monitoring and review systems to assess project progress.
22. Proper documentation of project activities and provide reports on monthly basis in standard format. S/He Submits timely and quality reports that are required by Area Program manager and HO EFS Staffs.
23. Undertake any other tasks that are delegated by the Tigray Area manager or HO EFS Staffs that are in keeping with the scope of the role.
· Familiarize self, understand and implement, according to area of responsibility, GOAL’s polices and procedures on mainstreaming of gender, HIV/AIDS, child protection and Accountability.
· Ensure that all minimum mainstreaming targets and outcomes are achieved in accordance with both GE policy and the donor/ grant requirements
· Work on increasing the sensitivity and awareness of project staff towards gender, HIV/AIDS and child protection issues.
· Actively promote and ensure the mainstreaming of child protection, HIV/AIDS, and gender into the project.
· Act as a role model and provide feedback to encourage others in supporting equity and diversity principles, and the accommodation of other differences in the workplace. Models the flexibility required for working in a diverse environment.
· Familiarize self and understand to GOAL donor compliance issues, specifically to the terms and conditions of the donor the project is working on and comply with same in area of responsibility.
· Maintain centrally hard copy and/or electronic copies (as appropriate) of all log frame documents as a ‘means of verification’ for donor audits to include as relevant the following as well as those specifically listed in the donor Project specific log frame, and provide to the ‘Donor Compliance Officer’ monthly for filing at HQ:
· Distribution lists and monthly distribution summaries.
· Training records – agendas, signed participant lists, training reports
· Sector reports e.g., Baseline Surveys, KAPB surveys, Consultancy Reports, weekly/monthly Reports etc
· M & E Trip Reports & Consultant and/or Tech Team Evaluation Reports
· During project closeouts, make sure all program deliverable distribution documents are reconciled and formally addressed to the Grants Unit at HO.
GOAL’s recruitment procedure is fair and transparent which is also in line with the organization’s commitment to its integrity, honesty and culture. GOAL is committed to ensure that, its performance complies with the terms and conditions of relevant agreements, applicable laws & regulations. Hence, pre-employment background checks will be conducted, and employees are required to read, understand, sign and implement different polices including safe guarding and child protection policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and abuse policy, sexual harassment policy, code of conducts and any other policy, rules and regulation of the organization.
Do you want to join an exciting organization that brings high level impact to the community and add value to your professional advancement? Then join us if you have:
· BSc/Diploma in Agriculture, (Agronomist, Livestock health) Rural Development or related field with 2 – 4 and 5 – 6 years’ work experience respectively for BSc & Diploma preferably with an NGO;
· Sound conceptual understanding of development theories, local poverty dynamics, solid experience in working with and managing partnership, networking, and capacity building processes.
· Field based experience of programme implementation in agriculture, food security, DRR and income generation.
· Trained and highly experienced in the use and development of a wide range of PRA skills
Key qualities, Skills and Competences:
· Demonstrable ability to encourage and motivate staff and develop teamwork.
· Proven ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with local government organizations and NGOs.
· Flexible and creative approach, highly motivated and able to take the initiative and work unsupervised.
· Excellent English communication skills, both verbal and written, and knowledge of local language is an advantage.
· Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, outlook, and Excel
Desirable qualities, Skills and Competences:
· Flexible and creative approach highly motivated and able to take the initiative and work unsupervised.
Note: This description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
REMUNERATION and BENEFITS:
- GOAL will pay a competitive basic salary based on the salary grading with addition benefits.
- A chance to develop tangible experience.
- Being part of a team who continue to make a real difference to the lives of the most vulnerable people.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants need to submit ONLY once their non – returnable application with CV for one vacancy. The vacancy reference number along with the title & Duty station need to be written in the application letter and/or subject of the email. Applicants can apply using the following option.
- Applicants can directly apply online using www.ethiojobs.net or firstname.lastname@example.org
GOAL strongly encourages female candidates to apply!
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and exam.
Shortlisted candidates will need to submit other supporting documents upon request at later stage.
GOAL is not able to contribute towards any costs incurred by candidates during the recruitment process