HelpAge Internationa Job in Ethiopia: HelpAge Internationa currently seeks applications from eligible applicants for the post of Senior Humanitarian Programme Officer based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Job Title: Senior Humanitarian Programme Officer
(HelpAge Internationa Job in Ethiopia 2021)
Job in Ethiopia by HelpAge Internationa
- Organization: HelpAge Internationa
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Grade: Senior
- Business Development,
- Development and Project Management,
- Social Sciences and Community
- Closing Date: 2021-05-25
HelpAge International(www.helpage.org) is the secretariat to the HelpAge Global Network, which brings together a wide range of organisations and individuals working to promote the rights and meet the needs of older women and men, nationally and/or internationally. At the core of this network, are civil society members, a group of civil society organisations working with older people around the world. These organisations share a vision of a world in which all older people are valued, and lead dignified, healthy and secure lives. HelpAge has been operating in Ethiopia since 1992 and has been involved on thematic sectors including social protection, health and wellbeing, emergency response, capacity building of partners and advocacy efforts.
Since 2014, HelpAge International has been responding to the needs of south Sudanese refugees’ influx with special focus on specific needs of older people and PWDs in Gambella region. These humanitarian response project will be implemented with full engagement of older people and other persons with specific needs and in close consultation and coordination with ARRA, UNHCR and other humanitarian actors involved in various sectors of refugee responses.
We are looking for motivated and self-driven individual for the position of Senior Humanitarian Officer in Addis Ababa. Read the below cross-cutting points applicable for all positions.
Our Values: Everyone who works at HelpAge share our values and are committed to behaviors that demonstrate and support them.
Inclusive: We respect people, value diversity and are committed to equality.
Impact: We value and recognize the contribution of our staff and network members, as we put older people at the center of everything we do.
Partners: We work alongside network members and others to increase reach, influence and impact. We are committed to a culture of collaboration and building positive relationships.
Learning: We are passionate about learning, accountable and work together to find creative solutions.
HelpAge International is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting, and providing equal opportunities, and respecting diversity in employment. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage, and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation. We encourage and facilitate a flexible working environment.
Everyone has a role in creating and sustaining a safe and respectful working environment, where no one comes to any harm or is maltreated. At HelpAge we take our responsibilities very seriously and will take action against wrongdoing. We will do everything we can to ensure that we do not engage people that pose a safeguarding risk and will undertake criminal record checks as required.
HelpAge International is an equal opportunity employer and we strive to be inclusive in our teams.
Job Title: Senior Humanitarian Programme Officer
Ref No HAI/Prog/ 011/21
Contract Length: One year with possibility of extension
Responsible to: Head of Humanitarian Programme
Responsible for: Supporting the oversight and management of HelpAge’s Emergency and recovery programmes.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa with at least 20% travel to field sites
Key Relationship: Internal: Operations Manager- Addis; Emergency Programme Coordinators/Officers in the field; Communications Officer and Country Director
External: Various humanitarian actors in drought affected areas and refugee camps, cluster and other coordination mechanisms
Overall Purpose of the Job
The incumbent provides a hands-on support in the planning, implementation, monitoring, follow up and evaluation of ongoing emergency projects in the field locations. Collect and analyse monthly progress reports to support management decision making. Support in rapid assessments and design of new programs. Assist in the representation of HelpAge in cluster and other coordination mechanisms pertinent to the emergency and Resilient building/DRR programmes.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY TASKS
- Program Implementation and Monitoring:
- Supervise the implementation of HelpAge’s programs in the field site with attention to program quality and ensure program activities/indicators are achieved within the project period.
- Coordinate the development and regular review of detail implementation plan of ongoing emergency projects in line with approved project documents.
- Oversee the management of grants including the appropriate and timely expenditure of program funds.
- Regularly travel to the field to review progresses and support the field team. Build good rapport with the field-based project team to manage constraints and trouble shoot problems as they arise.
- Assist the Humanitarian Program Manager in compiling donor and government progress reports.
- Ensure mutual support within the team and contribute to teambuilding.
- Ensure that projects are implemented in accordance with HelpAge’s and global humanitarian policies and guidelines, including Codes of Conduct, SPHERE and CHS principles and standards on accountability to the affected populations.
- Promote participatory approaches in emergency programming and implementation to ensure inclusion of all most vulnerable groups including older people, children, women and Persons with disabilities throughout the project cycle and joint learning processes;
- Work with logistics, HR and Finance to facilitate the timely delivery of project inputs;
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with partners and the government officials.
Knowledge Management and Monitoring
- Ensure regular field level monitoring of projects, in collaboration with the programme/finance team, to ensure tracking of project activities, effective utilisation of resources and documentation of changes achieved;
- Work with field program staff in improving the collection, analysis and management of data on older people and person with special need, project beneficiaries’ Sex and Age disaggregated data;
- Promote organisational learning by ensuring timely and quality project reports and updates are organised and shared;
- Support the field staff in human story gathering and communications related to the project implementations, older people situation in need of humanitarian assistance;
- Keep abreast of developments in the humanitarian sector relating to best practice initiatives and ensure their dissemination to the rest of the HelpAge Ethiopia team and humanitarian partners, and where appropriate, to other HelpAge offices;
- Assist in the development and roll-out of tools for effective management of data across all emergency projects.
Representation and Networking:
- Assist the Humanitarian Programme Manager in developing and maintaining a positive working relationship with relevant stakeholders.
- As applicable, represent HelpAge in coordination and cluster meetings and influence inclusion of older people.
- Master or MSC/ BA degree in Social Studies, Development, Business Administration, Management, Economics, Programme Management, or other related fields
- At least 5 years of experience for MA/MSC or BSC degree with 7 years’ experience. At least 2- 3 year’ experience in humanitarian and recovery projects, involving supervision and field support.
Essential Experience and Skills:
- 2-3 years’ experience in programme supervision and control of projects to meet deliverables within scope, preferable in INGOs;
- strong understanding of protection issues in conflict as well as protracted emergency setting,
- knowledge and commitment to core humanitarian standards, principles, instruments, frameworks and protocols, and codes of conduct that govern humanitarian action,
- Demonstrated commitment to upholding humanitarian standards and principles to vulnerable groups, time and allocated resources.
- past experience of developing collaborative partnerships with other organizations.
- leading rapid assessment, budget management; proposal development and management.
- strong communication, negotiation & representational skills
- experience of managing & supporting partners.
- good understanding of donor and local regulations and compliance management
- Proficient in computer applications (word, spreadsheet, power points, Office 365 etc.
- Team-work skill.
- Ability to coordinate and mentor staff under his/ her responsibility.
- Result oriented.
- Resilient under stressful environment.
- Good analytical skill.
- Self-managed, committed, knowledgeable and confident.
How to Apply (Senior Humanitarian Programme Officer)
A covering letter outlining your suitability for the role, including your expected salary.
An updated curriculum vitae (CV) not more than 4 pages, with a minimum of two referees, including your most recent line manager.
Send your application by email to email@example.com before the closing date. Indicate the vacancy reference No. and the post you are applying in the subject line of your mail.
Females are encouraged to apply.
Please do not email any of your personal details (such as date of birth, marital status, and religion, or other characteristics).
Senior Humanitarian Programme Officer