Website Farm Africa
Jobs Vacancy in Ethiopia: Farm Africa is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Head of Corporate Services in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Title: Head of Corporate Services
(Farm Africa Job in Ethiopia 2021)
Job in Ethiopia by Farm Africa
- Organization: Farm Africa
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Grade: Senior Level
- Years of Experience: 5+
- Business Administration, Management
- Closing Date:July 21, 2021
JOB TITLE: Head of Corporate Services
REPORTS TO: Country Director**
REPORTING TO POSTHOLDER: HR Manager, Procurement Manager, IT Manager, Logistics Manager and Receptionist**
LOCATION: Addis Ababa, with periodic field travel
DURATION: Three years fixed term, renewable**
ABOUT FARM AFRICA
Effective agriculture has the power to change lives. It underpins prosperity, food security and stability the world over. Farm Africa focuses on transforming agriculture and managing natural resources sustainably. We champion a holistic approach that boosts yields, protects the environment and connects smallholder farmers to thriving markets.
We work with different types of farmers in a range of regions. Their local situations vary, but the problems they face are all too familiar: lack of training and technology, inadequate inputs, no finance, vulnerability to climate change and poor links to markets.
We have an ambitious strategy to expand our work over the next five years. We’ll increase our impact. Lift more communities out of poverty. Work with more corporate partners who share our vision. Open up more agricultural markets. Provide more expertise. We’ll make change happen.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Farm Africa is a UK-headquartered INGO established in 1985 and with operations in Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and DRC.
Farm Africa in Ethiopia has recently seen significant growth in its programme portfolio. In order that we continue to deliver excellent programmes on time and on budget, it is essential that we have high-performing support teams at our country office in Addis Ababa. Our two support teams are Finance, and Corporate Services (covering HR, Procurement, IT, and Logistics).
The Head of Corporate Services is the point of coordination and accountability for the delivery of key services in support of the delivery of Farm Africa’s programmes in Ethiopia.
The role has overall responsibility for ensuring that Farm Africa Ethiopia’s support functions work efficiently and effectively at all times, and professionally deliver corporate services to programmes teams. The role is also responsible for ensuring adherence to corporate policies and procedures, for continuously improving our systems and processes in order to maximise efficiency and effectiveness, safety and security thereby helping our programmes achieve greater impact.
The role will require close collaboration with the Head of Finance to ensure that support teams work together effectively to help make our processes work more efficiently and to solve problems quickly and creatively for the good of our beneficiaries. It will also require a strong partnership with the Head of Programmes and programme staff, to ensure that the corporate services team provides a high quality service to our programme teams.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES **
- Ensure staff recruitment is managed efficiently and in compliance with Ethiopian law and Farm Africa HR policy, providing support to the HR Manager where required;
- Review and sign off all changes to staff remuneration and terms / conditions of employment (including changes to contracts);
- Working with the Head of HR and alongside the HR Manager, oversee Farm Africa’s performance management system in Ethiopia, including probations, performance appraisals, talent identification and development plans;
- Working alongside the HR Manager, ensure accurate coding of HR inputs for financial recording, and support the finance team’s work on processing and accounting for monthly salary payments; and
- Ensure all Farm Africa Ethiopia staff know, understand and acknowledge the Farm Africa code of conduct.
- Ensure all procurement is carried out efficiently and maximizes value for money (i.e. that the right things are purchased, for the best possible price), helping programme teams to deliver projects on time and to make donor funding go as far as possible;
- Ensure all procurements comply with donor procurement regulations and Farm Africa’s internal procurement policy;
- Lead the continuous improvement of the procurement process to ensure it remains fit for purpose, takes account of sector developments in best practice, reflects any changes in laws and regulations, and is as efficient and responsive to demand as possible;
- Personally supervise significant or sensitive procurements, in close liaison with the Country Director;
- Ensure the timely, smooth and effective functioning of tendering and procurement committees; and
- Ensure all staff know, understand and acknowledge Farm Africa’s anti-bribery policy and conflict of interest policy, and their relevance to procurement.
Logistics, IT, and administration
- Overall responsibility for ensuring efficient and effective provision of transport support, with adequate forward planning, monitoring of use and control of costs;
- Working alongside the Logistics Manager ensure the cost-effective management of the vehicle fleet, including insurance, licensing, driver authorization, taxes, repairs and maintenance is conducted, and the highest standards of health and safety, and security are achieved through implementation of understood procedures and regulations, and driver testing;
- Ensure compliance and transparency in asset recording, management and disposal;
- Overall responsibility for the review and maintenance of the IT infrastructure, systems and equipment, and software;
- Working alongside the IT Manager identify system improvements and manage the roll-out of new systems and updates seamlessly and cost-efficiently;
- Ensure the country office is physically maintained to a high standard, including risk management of staff and office security, and maintenance of health and safety aspects;
- Ensure that Farm Africa in Ethiopia has the required and adequate insurance and assurance cover in place at all times, and that all insurance renewals and claims are properly administered;
- Liaise with legal advisers on legal issues pertaining to employment, property and other relevant legislation;
- Maintain and update the Farm Africa security plan, and provide security briefing for all external visitors to Farm Africa Ethiopia (Addis Ababa and project sites); and
- Ensure contracts delivering corporates services such as fleet maintenance, travel agent and so on are compliant with Farm Africa’s rules and regulation.
Team leadership and cross-team collaboration
- Line-manage five managers (currently) in the country office;
- Be the spokesperson for corporate services to the rest of Farm Africa Ethiopia, and in particular build the knowledge and understanding of programme staff with regard to HR, procurement, IT, and logistics matters;
- Ensure strong and effective working relationships with the other teams within Farm Africa Ethiopia (programmes, and finance) based on a spirit of collaboration and collective responsibility – meet regularly with the Head of Programmes and Head of Finance to co-ordinate programme delivery and support, and ensure that issues are resolved quickly and practically;
- Work with the Ethiopia senior management team to address organization-wide issues and engage in support to other African country offices as required; and
- Other duties as requested by the Country Director.
These essential functions are not to be interpreted as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established.
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- Postgraduate qualification in Business Administration or Management
- Fluent written and spoken English and Amharic
- At least five years’ management experience in an organisation of similar size and complexity to Farm Africa Ethiopia (annual budget approx. £10million)
- Experience working in a large INGO
- Management experience of procurement, logistics and administration in complex contexts
- Management responsibility for HR and / or Procurement and / or IT and / or Logistics
- Experience in managing organizational change
- Systems and procedures review and improvement
Skills and abilities
- Works well individually and in a team; reliable at all times; demands and facilitates high performance from team
- Excellent management of underperformance
- Financially literate, comfortable analysing financial information and explaining it to others
- A demonstrated commitment to providing high quality support internally and to partner organizations and stakeholders – proactive and an innovative approach to problem solving
- Evidence of identifying and managing quality improvement initiatives
- Excellent communicator – written and spoken
- Effective presentations
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word and Excel
- SUN and similar financial systems Knowledge and interest in IT – hardware and software
- Excellent time management of self and team; able to multi-task and prioritise workload; works well under pressure; meets deadlines
- Sound judgement, applying experience and knowledge to challenging decisions and acting in the best overall interest of the organisation – able to make tough decisions firmly and fairly
- Diplomatic and patient style, able to effectively build and maintain relationships and explain positions
- Awareness of gender and diversity issues in the workplace, reflecting that in own behaviour
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Investing in smallholder farming is the number one way to combat poverty in rural Africa. Farm Africa is a leading NGOzdgb specialising in growing agriculture, protecting the environment and developing businesses in rural Africa.
EXPERT. Deep expertise and insightful evidence-based solutions are at the heart of everything Farm Africa does.
GROUNDED. Positive change starts with Africa’s people, so our experts work closely with local communities, engaging them in every level of decision-making.
IMPACTFUL. We take a long-term view so we can deliver lasting changes for farmers and their families.**BOLD.** We model innovative new approaches and are not afraid to challenge strategies that are failing.
How to Apply
Those who meet the above requirements should submit their short CV (maximum of 4 pages) and a cover letter (maximum 1 page) addressing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Head of Corporate Services by 21 July 2021. We will conduct the screening as we receive the applications.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Farm Africa is an equal opportunity employer and promotes gender equity. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Farm Africa does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. (E.g. Application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).