Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations Job in Ethiopia: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations currently seeks applications from eligible applicants for the post of Climate change, Forestry and NRM Specialist based at AA, Ethiopia.
Job Title: Climate change, Forestry and NRM Specialist
(Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations Job in Ethiopia 2021)
Job in Ethiopia by Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Organization: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
- Grade: Consultant – Contractors Agreement – Consultancy
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Meteorology, Geology and Geography
- Climate Change
- Years of experience: 5+ years
- Closing Date: May 05, 2021
The FAO Subregional Office for Eastern Africa (SFE) is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing subregional food, agriculture and rural development priorities. It develops and maintains relations with subregion-wide institutions including Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). It assists the FAO Representations (FAORs) in the subregion with addressing subregional food security, agriculture and rural development issues at country level. The Office is also responsible for the liaison with the African Union Commission (AUC) and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA). The Subregional Office is a subsidiary of FAO’s Regional Office for Africa (RAF).
Climate variability and change, deforestation and natural resources degradation are among the key issues accentuating the low agriculture productivity, the loss of the natural capital and the subsequent rising poverty and food insecurity across the Eastern Africa sub-region. In this regard and as part of the eight priorities for action in 2020-2021 agreed with government stakeholders and regional economic communities in the sub-region, the FAO Sub-regional Office for Eastern Africa (SFE) is expected to deliver its support on:
- Making change normal to particularly enhance climate change adaptation and resilience building, including through climate-smart agriculture, improved water resources management, social protection, increasing climate financing, and robust early warning and early action measures;
- Making natural resources work for farmers, including through the responsible utilisation and conservation of natural resources.
The consultant’s assignment will contribute to SFE’s achievement of the above two priorities.
The position would be a part of the FAO Sub Regional Office for East Africa providing technical support to projects in the 9 countries of the region as well as Sub-Regional work
Under the overall guidance of the Sub-Regional Coordinator for Eastern Africa (SRC-SFE) and the direct supervision of the Land and Water Officer, the consultant will be part of the SFE’s Natural Resources Management team
Climate change, forestry and Natural Resources Management
Tasks and responsibilities
The consultant will specifically:
- provide technical expertise in the areas of climate change, forestry and natural resources management to the SFE office and its related country offices;
- facilitate the effective formulation and implementation of projects in Eastern Africa on climate change, forestry and natural resources management;
- facilitate the effective implementation of the Program of Work and Budget (PWB) 2021 and other approved initiatives; and
- Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in in environmental science, forestry, natural resource management or any related field;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in a closely related position
- Working knowledge of English, and limited knowledge of one of the other official FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for COF.REG. For PSA.SBS, the requirement is a working knowledge of English.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent and relevance of experience in climate change forestry and natural resources management
- Extent and relevance of experience in developing and managing projects especially related to GEF and GCF
- Quality of both oral and written communication skills;
- Extent of experience with UN, intergovernmental and international organizations providing technical assistance
- Relevant qualifications in the field
- Relevant work experience, especially in the African context
How to Apply
Please click on below link to apply!
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.